Friday, August 27, 2010

Grandma's Pumpkin Bread

With September approaching, and possibly cooler temperatures, I thought I'd share Carl's mom's recipe for pumpkin bread.  I make it all year long, usually serving it to guests, but I think one of my favorite ways to serve it is with chili.  My chili includes cloves, so the spices in the pumpkin bread match up with it perfectly!

3 c. flour
3 c. sugar (with all that sugar, you know it's not really bread, but pumpkin cake!)
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1 1/2 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. nutmeg
1 t. cloves
1 15 oz. can pumpkin
4 eggs
1 c. oil (I use light olive)

Grease and flour 2 loaf pans.  Preheat oven to 300 degrees. (Yes, it's a low 300 degrees.)  Sift together into bowl all dry ingredients.  (I don't sift, just mix very well.)  In mixer bowl, blend together pumpkin, eggs, and oil.  Add dry to wet ingredients and mix until combined.  Pour into loaf pans and bake for 80 to 90 minutes, or until toothpick comes out fairly clean.  Let cool a few minutes then turn onto wire racks to cool completely.

Our family enjoys the bread soft and cold from the refrigerator.  Some like to spread on cream cheese.  Enjoy this treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...