Saturday, May 22, 2010

Secular Humanism Part 2

We assembled again last night to watch Part 2 of the Secular Humanism DVD from Summit Ministries' Understanding The Times series.  (To read my Part 1 post, click here.)  After watching this DVD, one can't help but feel sad, and yet angry too.  If someone does not believe in God, I can understand their turning to all that is left -- themselves.  But what a meaningless existence to invest your all in fallen man and this fallen world... to never know truth or have the Living God in your life.  We discussed what a life without God brings to an individual and to society, and how the public schools and universities are taking unsuspecting young people and indoctrinating them with this worldview.  I shared with the girls my experience while attending VCU at age 19, where I took a course called "Old Testament History".  I grew up in the Baptist church, and so I assumed the class would be spiritual in nature, but I quickly found out it was not.  The professor made clear that he was not a Christian, and that this was strictly a history course.  He taught from a secular humanist worldview, and he very much affected me.  I became confused because for the first time in my life I wasn't under my parents' teaching and leading, and was subject to other influences, which brought on doubts.  I wasn't strong enough in my beliefs to stand on my own, and therefore I went through a deep spiritual struggle during that time in my life.  I shared this with my girls because it was a real life (their mom's!) example of what happens to even Christians under this worldview teaching.  I am thankful the Lord brought that experience to my mind to share with them at just the right time.  I think Suzette and Whitney understood in a new and mature way, one of the main reasons we chose to homeschool.  Carl, I, and the girls had a good discussion and time of sharing that left us with a burden for the lost secular humanist, and for the young people being influenced by them.  We have the Good News, and they need to hear it and understand it from Christians who can reason with them and be a help to lead them to the only One who can save them, Jesus Christ!

"Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool."   Isaiah 1:18

The next DVD in the series is on Marxist-Leninism.  We'll be watching it next week, and I will post about it then!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...